Wednesday, June 27, 2007

my birthday, 2007

(Click on the photos for the full set.)

Chris took the day off work, and the three of us spent the morning at the ocean (La Jolla Shores) with friends. Eliza surprised us by frolicking in the waves - last time, she was horrified when water touched her toes. At first, both Eliza and Micah were a little reluctant, but as Reiko suggested, they gave each other courage and soon were splashing around gleefully. Laurel soon joined them, and our gaggle of 2-year-olds were having a glorious time in the waves with the daddies supervising.

Afterward, all nine of us headed out to Café Athena (in Pacific Beach). I had the imam bayaldi, which is eggplant stuffed with tomatoes, raisins, and walnuts, served with a pilaf. Eliza had lentil soup and grazed off my eggplant and the various mezes we all shared.

We had a whole room of the restaurant to ourselves since we arrived at an off time, which was nice, because the kids really get excited around each other and were more wiggly than usual. At one point, Eliza and Laurel hopped across the floor chanting "ribbit, ribbit!"

After lunch, we headed home so Eliza could take a nap. We three spent a quiet afternoon, not doing much other than making cupcakes. I made "sexy low-fat vanilla cupcakes w/ fresh berries" (from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World). Loren joked about eating my cupcakes, so he has my word I'll make a batch for the next Bradley reunion. :)

After Eliza went to bed for the night, Chris and I watched a classic movie, It Happened One Night, breaking with my tradition of watching Jane Austen adaptations on my birthday. Although not quite up there with Colin Firth's dreamy wet shirt scene from Pride & Prejudice, Clark Gable isn't too shabby to say the least. Claudette Colbert didn't even annoy me as much as she did when I last saw the movie, about seven years ago.

I also got a couple phone calls wishing me a happy birthday - how nice to be remembered. All in all, I had a very enjoyable birthday. I can't ask for more than good times with my darling daughter and husband and my dear friends.

5 comments:

veganmomma said...

sounds like a happy birthday. that is exactlt how i hope to enjoy mine - good people and good food being the most important to me! happy belated b-day from us!

Elaine said...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like it was a lovely day.

And can you send some of those cupcakes over this way? They look delish!

chanale said...

Thanks, Sara and Elaine!

If not for the "healthy" requirement, I would be happy to make some for hosting playgroup's craft day in August. :)

Jen said...

Happy belated birthday Suzanne!!!! Looks like a fab day. I love Cafe Athena!! And those cupcakes look dee-lish!! I wouldn't mind if you had them for playgroup...we won't be there bc we're out of town but I'm sure there will be planty of people who'd enjoy them!!!

chanale said...

I'll plan to make a batch then. :) Eliza had way too many cupcakes - best to spread around the cupcake love.